Validation of weather radar with radio sounding

please I need to validate the radar velocity with the velocity from radio sound
please share your thoughts?

Hey!

Could you please elaborate on the issue? Do you have all the data (radar + soundings)? Do you need help with data processing, or do you need help with the theoretical part of your issue? Have you tried anything so far? If so, please share some minimal code so that people here can understand the problem better. If not, it’s always best to give this a go first and see where you will get stuck, and then, it’s also easier to formulate your issue for the community.

Best regards

1 Like

thank you @jorahu jorahu for reply
yes I have all the data of (radar + soundings), I tried to plot the track of balloon with radar to Know exactly the area of intersection indicated in the attached plots, this is my thoughts but I don’t know if it correct or not?
yes I need help with data processing, also need help with the theoretical part.
specially in the comparison points with time and lat, lon and altitude; how many files shoud I use to compare are there any limit? should I merge all the radar files? should I extract the area of intersection only?
how can I do all this points?
excuse me for my stupid questions I am beginner in using radar data.

sorry I can’t upload the plots may be error in uploading

Radiosoundings usually give zonal and meridional wind components, meanwhile doppler radars measure a radial wind component for each azimuth.

If the sounding occured exactly north/south or east/west from the radar, you can compare one of the components directly against the radial velocity of the azimuth which points to the sounding location.

If not, you must compose the absolute wind speed and direction, then decompose again on the direction that points to the radar; finally compare against the radar data azimuth which points to the radiosounding launch station.