Open Radar data for nordic countries in the EU

Hi all,

I am wondering if someone knows where I could find open radar data for the nordic countries in europe like FMI is displaying here: Precipitation Nordic countries - Finnish Meteorological Institute

They don’t offer this composite as open data, but only as web animations on their webpage. Though, I would love to use this composite.

Best,
Julian

Hey

As said in the description, it is from the NORDRAD project. As it includes different countries, there are definitely some legal questions as to why the composite “raw” data is not shared publicly. Nevertheless, I would encourage you to contact FMI directly (they have contact information available on their website), but I doubt they will share the composite file. Still, you never know.

Yes, I wrote them, but they don’t have the nordic composite as open data. Only the finish composite.

Well, then I might have to think about how I could create my own nordic composite with the finish, swedish and norwegian radar composite. Is that a hard thing to do as I have never done that?

Best,
Julian

I am no expert in compositing. Therefore, to me, compositing 36 radars from different countries and manufacturers seems a substantial task.

There is a small scale (2 radars) tutorial here for compositing (weighted method).

Whatever your goal is with the composite, good luck with that!