ANN: Introduction to Atmospheric Radar Course, UK

I’d just like to announce that the National Centre for Atmospheric Science are delivering a new course this year. The Introduction to Atmospheric Radar course will be this June aimed at PhD students and early career researchers. If you’d be willing to share among your networks that would be greatly appreciated.

Dates: June 10-14 2024

As a previous attendee of the Open Source Radar short course (ERAD 2014) and long time user of many of the open source packages available I’m keen to promote the Open Radar community as much as possible during the course, including a short session introducing the community and the many packages available. During the course we’ll be devoting a large portion of the time to practical notebook follow along sessions and while we’ll not have specific sessions on each of the available packages I’d like to incorporate as many as possible into the various practical exercises. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

5 Likes

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing - will the notebooks be open to broader community? Or what what would be the best way to collaborate on notebooks and such?

Fantastic. Happy to help!
Words of wisdom? I don’t know about that. One thing: Use a jupyter/binder hub and do it in a consistent environment. Concur very much on practical hands on work.

We may need to write a short story on this @mgrover1 … Some one at one of our short courses now leading their own course… that is fantastic

Thanks both @mgrover1 and @scollis for the kind words of encouragement.

We are definitely planning to make the materials open source, I’ll share here once we’ve got that far. There’s a whole host of inspiration available from within this community which is amazing. Thanks for the tips on common software environments, it’s something we’ve been thinking about and we will be using a hosted Jupyterhub to make the code running side of things smoother and consistent for the course participants.

Many thanks.

1 Like